Session 5 Production

SUMMARY

Role: Cinematographer

Intention (SMART Goal): By May 10th, as part of team 1, I will have provided evidence for CAMERA MOTION and provide evidence for the justification of camera motion, by using the “The Ultimate Guide to Camera Movement” by StudioBinder.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s): Gregory Middleton – Working on Moon Knight, also worked on Game of Thrones.

Training Source(s): Ultimate Guide to Camera Motion Discusses nearly every way to use motion for different uses.

Project Timeline: 1 week to film, 3 days to edit / ADR if needed

Proposed Budget: https://youtu.be/l91ISfcuzDw

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

Skills Commentary

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1hnNaUdAU6zH3y5O8ByzuFqmWxrdA-ji7kfUNUfzCTlI/edit?usp=sharing

In this session, I was in charge of camera work and cinematography in the film. I used an IPhone 11 for video, selected shot locations in the general area, and came up with good shot types for the scenes, along with the director and actors.  The director, screenwriter and I collaborated on the interpretations of the story, and how to properly portray certain scenes.

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

I innovated ways to capture chase scenes and some actor movements so they would correspond with camera movements. I also solved problems with shot angles not working, as they presented strangely.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

I communicated well with the actors, leading to synced actor and camera movements. There were some creative differences over some shots, and whether to include them.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I used an Iphone to shoot most of the movie, and used autofocus in some of the shots, as well as backing up the clips to a safe folder.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

I prepared for bad situations by bringing backup supplies for nearly everything, along with a charging brick in case the phone battery got low, which it did. Working on different locations and scouting was very good training for my future career.

Reactions to the Final Version

“Cinematography during chase was impressive” – Shaynan

“Timing and actor movements were captured well” – Tim

“Desaturation and shooting of original community was done well” – James

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Some shots were cut that I would have preferred in the final cut, and we added a shot that I vehemently opposed, which I feel reduced the overall quality early on in the film. Most creative differences were settled fairly quickly and calmly, but some choices over shots did get loud. Overall I would give it (for a eerie comedy satire made by HS students) a 7.5/10

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly and years of experience in reading

Editor

Shaynan Montenegro