Session 4 Production Blog Post

SUMMARY

Role: Cinematographer

Intention (SMART Goal): By March 2nd, as part of team 2, I will explore the cinematographer’s skill pathway by following The Visual Story by Bruce Block and will have created scenes that demonstrate the visual story structure of space.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

I used Parker Finn’s short film “The Hidebehind” as both partial inspiration for the shot as well as for it’s use of camera techniques to relay the supernatural powers of an entity, and it’s chase scene.

• David Klein – The Mandalorian.  His use of camera movement to make scenes feel tense and alive, as well as the intensity conveyed through them

Training Source(s)

• The Visual Story by Bruce Block – Focus on learning how space is important, and how to utilize it.  It is possible to control space by choosing a fitting shot location alongside changing said location and the camera positions to correctly display illusory depth, as well as coordinating movement to achieve the same effect.

• The Visual Story

Project Timeline

February 18 Brainstorm, Write Script
February 23 Finish script
February 24 Film Scenes
February 25 Continue Filming Scenes
February 28 Record ADR
March 1 Compose Music
March 2 Edit Scenes
March 3 Create slideshow, Continue editing
March 4 Finish Editing

Proposed Budget

none

PRODUCTION – ACTION

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13xByHCXNZsxRvmB73C53sFsRKr9hRhg7/view?usp=sharing

The Shoe Goblin

Skills Commentary

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1t8v1zrEnytwyiI9J4Nre2C65_2X3WNUa0wUHCeiYLuE/edit?usp=sharing

In this session, I was in charge of camera work and cinematography in the film. I used 1 camera, selected shot locations, and came up with good shot types for the scenes.  The director and I collaborated on the different shot styles and story, as well as how to best portray it.

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

My shot choices were creative with the way to use our available resources to create scenes with supernatural elements.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

I worked with the actors to explain where to stand and how to act with the camera.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I learned about the multiple visual story elements using the book The Visual Story by Bruce Block.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

I can use what I learned for future projects as well as to analyze movies I watch for fun.

Reactions to the Final Version

There were comments on the clever seamless shot at the end of the film.

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

One of my favorite shots wasn’t used due to editing constraints, which I feel lowered the overall quality.  However, overall I liked it.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

I learned about the importance of recharging your batteries in your cameras, as well as solved problems regarding good shots with some flaws continuity wise.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly.

Editor

Awaiting