My Presentation

Creating and Formatting The Blog Post Overview Video

Step 1 – Summary of Project

I created a presentation about myself in order to inform others of who I am, what I like, and what I enjoy doing.  I also made the presentation so that I could improve my skills at making presentations.  This project also helped me to speed up my presentation making process and quality.

Step 2 – What is Good Presentation?

• Keep it simple
  • Use pleasant surprises
  • Bring tangible objects
  • Use sources
  • Evoke people’s emotions
  • Use stories
  • So what?
    • What are you doing
    • Why does it matter
    • is it useful
  • Write things down, even if its messy
  • Always cite the photo name and photographer name
  • 2+2≠4
  • You can always use pictures in the creative commons as long as you cite your sources
  • Try not to use personal pronouns in presentations

Step 3 – Brainwriting and Brainstorming Ideas

Jack Mindmap Scan

I used pencil and paper to brainstorm my ideas rather messily.  I did this so that I wouldn’t focus on refining my ideas but rather simply creating ideas, later to be refined and turned into a good presentation.

Step 4 – Creating the Storyboard

Jack 2 StoryBoard Scans

I created 32 slides/boxes of words and images forming a presentation.  I did this on paper so that I could look over it and imagine it better before I put too much time and effort into it.

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

Copyright is the legal permission to use or make something with the original creators or now publishers consent, without them suing you.  The creative commons is a place you can get images without fear of getting reprimanded as long as you cite your sources.  I used creative commons so that I wouldn’t have to be afraid of getting sued.  Citing sources is important so that the creators get credit and you don’t get sued.

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

cp_sample_slide_master

I created a master slide so that I could easily manage and change my presentation as my needs required.

Step 7 – Building the Slide Show

Slide Preview

I built my presentation in fast flowing slides and when I first created it I replaced things where I would have put pictures with PICT OF… so that I could focus first on the text, then worry about the pictures later.

Step 8 – Sharing the Slide Show

I was going to use this process, but for some reason it would always say upload failed when I tried to upload it.  So, as a result I simply have posted the link to the google slide.  If it were to have worked, I would have uploaded it to slideshare.net, so that it could be more easily viewed by others.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1xsyzEd9j0mHtq_eWn0HOZednt3XUe2vu4sRTuVL3mbw/edit#slide=id.g421e617dec_0_412

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

I prepared my presentation by going over it multiple times, syncing my voice with the slides.  I practiced the parts where I switched slides quickly many times, so that it would be fluid and so that I memorized their locations for maximum effect.  I believe that it created the desired effect.

Step 10 – What I Learned

I learned that fast flowing slides keep people interested, but it only works as long as you have rehearsed it many times and do not have to look at the slides to know what you’re about to say, as it has you sounding like a robot.  I have also learned that presentations made in this sort of style are much more interesting and fun than the normal boring millions-of-lines-of-text-on-a-single-slide presentation.